We dug up some fun facts about the District of Columbia…how many did you know?!
1. George Washington never lived in DC. The White House was completed a year after he died and the second U.S. President, John Adams, was the first to live there.
2. The original phone number for the White House in 1878 was simply the number 1. A phone wasn’t installed on the President’s desk in the Oval Office until 1929.
3. The cherry blossom trees that line the Tidal Basin and have beautiful pink blooms every spring were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo in 1912.
4. Washington, DC is a very international city, home to more than 175 embassies and international cultural centers. Fifteen percent of DC residents speak a language other than English.
5. The District of Columbia is just one of the many areas that Norman Hubbard services nationwide.